Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

My Hunch Proves Out

Current challenge that I have NEVER  heard addressed by any one before, in any of the boat building sites, yahoo groups etc,  I have visited  during the couple of years I've been researching this.

That tiny itsy bitsy thing called LAW. Yes its that time folks even though it may be a royal pain in the you know were. If its floats at least in this state you have to get it legal.
Got my call back from Tax commission. UN officially they don't have a problem with me taking the Toy out to water test it. NO, they are NOT authorized to send me confirmation of that in writing via email. ( go figure)
Talked to local lake officer ( NOT from highway patrol.) and he's OK with this after I told him what Tax Commission/ DMV  person said.


(This next part is why you would want to build this boat in spite of the paper work) The next question is, since The Toy can technically be used as at least five different boats that I can think of just off of the top of my head AND since you have to have a different hull ID for each boat  I was directed to a different person . It is as simple as getting   a MIC ( Manufactures Identification Code )  from the Coast Guard. It is free. You fill out some forms and send them in. That makes it possible for me ( the manufacture ) to put Hull IDs on each component to be used separately or together. Yes, if I get pulled over for some weird reason the officer will have a headache looking at all of it since you legally HAVE to have each boats registration with it but if the paper work is all there it is not my problem , except maybe to offer the officer a couple of aspirin. Boat Builders Hand book is free on line in PDF format and you want to make sure you comply. Any way I've emailed for a copy of the paper work and its presumably on it's way. Send your request for the MIC application and other information to:philip.j.cappel@uscg.mil

 Yes, its a pain but what the heck, I can't help but wonder since the government / Coast Guard / military  is involved is this why they call them REAR admirals...... LOL

I've been working on what to do for the outer and final covering. Fiber glass would be great! I'm not made of money. Did some research. The Minwax  is a bust . The good news is I have been doing some research on paint. Have decided to go with Benjamin Moore Impervo 133 external house paint for a couple of reasons. First I am putting Thompson water seal on all wood before it gets a final finish for added protection. If you do this READ THE CAN!  You have to wait 30 days before you put additional paint  on it. I called Thompson's They said you HAVE to use OIL based paint on it  and that you should  wipe it down with mineral spirit s before applying paint. Now that was after I told them the wood has been projected and sitting in doors this last month so if your situation is different do your research and find out if you need to do it differently.
The wood I already coated with the minwax is still usable. Since I am using the oil based Paint for final coat I can scuff sand the poly and go from there  So outside of the cost of the poly urethane I'm good to go. You live and learn. Once I make sure the hull is deep enough to keep the deck out of the water I'm going to put a ply wood skin on it. Not as fancy as fiberglass but it's about sailing not spending the next couple of months saving money to buy fiberglass.

Am almost done sanding battens and  ready to apply the Thompson's. Hopefully we will be good to go this week some times. Every time I THINK we are going to get out to lake test it seems life happens.  I'm not even going to try to set a lake trail date again. It never happens, I always think if one more thing that either I want to do or that  HAS to be done. LOL I'll get it in the water when it happens. One day at at time . 
 I am so close to having The Toy legal and ready for at least Hull # 1 to be in the water to sail I can taste it!

Sail safe and keep the bow pointed forward.

No comments: