Search This Blog

Friday, November 26, 2010

AHOY FELLOW NEWBIE!! Links, list and other good stuff

If your new to sailing as I am, you already know you have a lot to learn same as I do.  This page is my personal experiences in that area,  on the proverbial shoe string budget for those on this journey.

If your a woman don't let the Bubba types or those who would rain on your parade talk you out of it if this is what you really want to do. For every "bubba " type or "dream stomper" there are a lot more who are supportive of newbies with a dream. Many had done this same as we do on a budget. So go for it and live your dream same as I am.

 Read Captain Pauley's page on Restoration of an old fiberglass hull. 

"It's about knowing it is yours and that you will get it done that counts.
Pity the poor rich man who will never have the satisfaction of knowing how it feels to have accomplished a long sought after and hard won dream."
My comment on Cat Pauley's web site in response to ;

"Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing"

I have found a lot of good solid support and advice in various online places.
Some of the groups are kind of quiet during the off season. Don't let that throw you , It gets busy off and on and during the sail season. It's a free education.  from folks who,  many of which have forgotten more them many of us will ever know.
What I do when I see a term or expression that is not familiar to me I do a search on it,. WIKI is a great tool i over use! Some times I type in the term I need and add sail or boat to it to get great results.

Yahoo groups I belong to that are NEWBIE  and arm chair sailing friendly

LowCostVoyaging

Electric Boats



Ham Group
I am not a Ham but for radio advice you can go wrong in here.


Junk rig
  Not for every one but if your into alternative sails rigging set ups IMHO this is definitely the way to go. Eventually I will have a junk rig.


LiveAboards
One step at a time, I am getting there.


Low Cost Voyaging.
If your not made of money or just like being frugal this is the place to do your thing in a sail boat and not pay through the nose to do it!!


PD Racer
A great little sail boat you can make fairly cheap to get you started.


Sailing Online


Short handed Sailing


Single Sailing

Women Sailing
 I' m not 100 percent sure if this group is still active or not, I applied to join a while back and still have a pending status.

World Cruising


COOKING and Provisions on Board
 Capt Pauleys

Technical Yahoo Groups I may or may not have posted at.

SeaClear Mapping       A navigation software yahoo group.



Links

Will be adding to this as time allows.

 ************************************************************************


  INFO Resources
Captain Pauley


Duckworks

Practical Sailor


Fore deck sail bags instructions   see images at top of page.
*****************************************************************************



SUPPLIES and REPAIR

I list these since I have either seen the sites recommended on the places I have searched or in groups.  I do  not imply or endorse purchase from these sites. They are listed for convenience of locating materials and equipment related to sailing.  

Sail Repair
Sail cleaning, I Googled sail cleaning Dacron and got so many really good links it took me a while to read them all. Much less  to  even think abut listing them all.  The ones by people who know wast they are talking about all  pretty much l say the same thing so yup will see the pattern.

You tube Videos for newbies

Just remember each sail boat/ yacht is a bit different so you have to take this into consideration.
This You tube channel has a LOT of very good instructional videos.
 They have a LOT of information so viewing them several times to get it all is what needs to be done at least that is what I had to do.
Video about head sails and its different names.
If all the different terms about the various  sails in front of the mast is as confusing to you as it was to me, this will help.

Singlehanding hoisting and lowering a spinnaker with a sock.

Boomjack boomvang

Different channel
Tying a bowline: the rabbit and the tree


If you will type in sailing lessons on the youtube search you will find a large amount of really good instructional videos for beginner and advanced level.

expert village has lot of short instructional clips which are nice since they do not over load you with information.




Lighting

Anchor lights

http://www.bebi-electronics.com/owl.html

No comments: