Search This Blog

Monday, November 22, 2010

Buying a boat

Providence has smiled up me in the form of funds to purchase a real boat. Yes, The Toy is still going to be finished. It is not canceled. It is just on on hold! I spotted a 22 ft Venture by MacGregor close enough to commute.  We went to look at it this week end.
I'm having a heck of a time trying to get the video we took onto my system, Its just not happening but here are some pics. She has every thing except the halyards and stern and bow navigation lights which I had already bought for The Toy.  Not bad for 1000.00 especially when you include trailer. Boat trailers around here bring a premium price if they are in any kind of half way decent condition.






Needs a good scrubbing, bottom paint and a basic face lift but the hull is solid and there are no soft spots in the deck


The pretty  part of the inside. I'm thinking a thin set of  railed shelves or monkey hammock would fit under the  seat line for more storage.



The rest of the inside needs a good scraping, sanding, painting and scrubbing, She has a TINY  sink opposite the table.  I am talking so small I have dinner plates as large as this sink. LOL
Am going to have to put something in place for the camping stove. I'm thinking a drop down shelf by the sink would work. Have to design a gimble for it.


She comes with a mainsail, and 3 jibs all in good condition.  I took a video pic of them but alas, still have not got it uploaded to computer.   The mainsail is yellow and black stripe the color of which I'm not that wild about, but what the heck I can live with it. It has one small hole close to the foot. It is  about as large around as my thumb. so that is easily fixable.  The jibs are all white,  90, 120 and 150 sq ft if  memory serves and other then needing a good cleaning they are solid. No sign of wear or fraying on any of the sails. Tracking cars look good on mainsail.
The REALLY GREAT NEWS is I found a couple of  marinas that rents slips on a month to month basis at the lake I'm planning on putting her on.  

More pics:

The work to be done aka Blister factory.




Star board side of under cock pit area.

Two batteries although I suspect they will need replacing



Can't see it very well but the line is attached to an anchor. 


Starboard area under cockpit.

Area under v berth hatch. It is going to be interesting to see if a full sized adult fits in this. My money says  the short straw gets the V berth when I have company. When I am alone I figure it will make great storage if it turns out to be as small as  it looks.
Midship area under cockpit

Bow Hatch from inside

More of under cock pit area.

More of under cock pit area.

More of under cock pit area.



Inside bow shot

Inside bow area.

The one area that needs fiberglass work

Port side of cabin



Ordered Zap and plenty of scrubbers to start cleaning as soon as it is delivered. 
Have been trying to decide what to name her. Intuition is a good name so for now I'll stick with that. 




1 comment:

Jack Davis said...

Best of luck with your V22. I have an 1985 Mac22 here on the NW coast of California. They are fun boats to play around in. You're right about the v berth. We just use ours ours for storage and I built a take apart platform that we put across the whole inside of the boat where the dinette is, and put a futon pad on top of that. Lots more comfortable. Let me know if I can answer any questions. I don't know everything, but I've run across a lot of things keeping my going.

Again, best of luck,

Jack and Diane