Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

In The Back of My Mind

In the back of my mind, I keep thinking a person can use this same technic to make a blue water worthy cat.   I'm planning on doing hull number 2 from the out side in. This plan is doable for a smaller boats. In Oklahoma any thing HAS to be licensed. In other states such as Texas if you run a 14 foot or less  boat it does not have to be registered.  My original idea was a cloth or fiber glass hull covering and it would work.

For the second hull, since I have decided to go with the wood hull and since I will have the dimensions figured out for that from covering this hull, I am going to simply build the hull and fill it in with the recycled  bottles and Styrofoam, then fill in the  small voids between bottle and foam  with the canned foam to hold it all together.  It also eliminates the original 3/4 " PVC frame used in hull #1.

In a blue water boat, my thought is find a basic wood or fiber glass hull design that accommodates this much flotation and fill the portion you want to fill as float with the same materials. An alternate idea is simply line the hulls with a layer of the recycled materials and cover it with perhaps wood or fiberglass.
If a person did not want to go that route, making this same pattern thicker in circumference should work although I have no idea of what to suggest as far as measurements go. For that information I would look to see what other proven designs do and emulate that.
Happy Sailing

No comments: