Search This Blog

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Horse of a different color

Well its been a while. I have been in the south. We had arranged to go work for a guy doing some "minor " repairs on his house. Nothing big. Refinish a floor, refinish his wrought iron, little stuff like that. He was wanting us down  there and as any on who has redone a boat knows things ALWAYS take longer to do then anticipated and doing this house as no exception. so between him and me, we decided to go ahead, use his tools, and get down there. I wanted to take  the Venture since the original idea was a place to work on it and get her in the water. Tires being  as high priced as they are we decided to leave her here. go ahead and go do the job to make money for all this other stuff.
Turns out the floor he wanted to refinish was in a room filled with things he really should have put in storage It would have taken three days to just to get that out of there.
Nothing was ready to work on. Spent the first couple of days sorting through his garage looking for tools. and changing lite bulbs. Then he wanted to gripe about it.
Its funny I told him flat out I was not up for anything that required a license yet he wanted me to do plumbing.  One thing led to another and he wanted  us to do major remodeling like replace his windows in the front of his house etc. Now all of that we could have  done. That was not the deal breaker.


The job allegedly came with a 28 ft RV.  The orignal agrement was he would provide hook ups for and we would purchase on payments for my son. W wold work out some sort of contribution fr the utilities.  Almost immediately he wanted me to rent a spot at an RV park, Now housing and 10.00 a man hour is not to bad but when he took away the housing 10.00 an hour aint  all that much when your paying motel bills or rv space plus hooks ups. the profit margin crashed on that one. Still that was nothe deal breaker.  The fact that he wanted get work that wold have easily cos him way more then 10.00 an hour done as cheap as possible I can understand.Yes, I still have all the emails about this.




The travel trailer has storm damage which was repairable we knew that up front. When we got there and tore into the damaged area to see how  extensive the wood frame damage was,  come to find out that trailer has BLACK MOLD in it.  I've done black mold twice.  Once for myself and once for a lady I did garden wort for as a personal favor. THAT STUFF CAN KILL YOU!  Not something I want to Tackle especially not for 10.00 an hour after he had already tried to rip me off on wages. Black mold or mold of any type is a dangerous thing!  It is HEAVILY regulated by state and federal law.
Long story short in between that and him trying to gip me out of wages it did not last.  The final straw that broke the camels back was his hidden agenda. He knew this was a TEMPORARY THING!  He is in my groups and knew , same as any one else does that MY GOAL IS BLUE WATER! NOT living in an land locked area ANY WHERE!  He came up while  we were working on the wrought iron and tells me his real goal was to use the travel trailer to see how we did on it with the idea m and his brother would take turns hiring us to do work in his brothers RV rebuild place and his house.  He was trying  to "help" his bother since he apparently has trouble keeping people hired.  IN THIS ECONOMY?  That told me right there all I wanted to know.  When he old me that I about dropped my jaw to the ground.   After we go done working I told him we needed to solve the housing problem He allegedly went blank on ideas. He started griping about how I had not brought the boat., which he agreed to before we left. I gather his idea was that we would live in he boat when we found out the black mold was s to bad to stay in the travel trailer. I guess he figured he wold have us by the short hair and in a bind. I told him we were gong to go eat and he should text me if he had an idea. Spending  the night in a COLD mountain area in my van with two dogs and packed to the roof  was not my idea of how I wanted to live. Did not have enough cash left since I had spent ever thing  to just get there to do his job, so we headed south. Sleeping in the van is one ting but freezing  our butts of while doing it is a different horse altogether.
Yeah, I should have called OSHA or NLRB. I have something much more effective in mind. I am  letting providence deal with him.  Momma always said, what you do will ALWAYS come back to you and I expect he is going to get to walk a long walk in our shoes, sooner or later.




The good news is my son found him a place in a very nice area and is now on his own.
Me? I'm back in Oklahoma getting things set to up to deal with house. Have an unexpected gliche but nothing that can't be solved, It is just going  to delay selling house a bit. If your a praying person, do me a favor and pray the problem gets resolved so I can get house sold.


In the mean  time I am working on tiny things to get house  ready to go and working on the 16 foot challenger.


Sail safe but sail.

No comments: