Search This Blog

Saturday, September 28, 2013

The Striptease

As I was updating my blog I noticed that some how this got saved as a draft instead of published. As a result my followeres are getting 2 different post in short order. Enjoy!

As I am finding out that  the so called  TLC on this boat is in fact a restore I am truly beginning to appreciate why men enjoy a strip show so much. As the gel coat comes off, this old boat is looking better and better.
Don't have pics presently due to upload issues but the deck is almost completely devoid of gel-coat. Am deciding that I will have to take the ports out to get that area stripped and some hardware I had not noticed needs to be pulled but other then that, small areas I just did not feel like fooling with at the time in corners etc, the motor well and a small section of the inner transom she is almost done. Once that is done if I can get the deck lifted enough to put boards under it to lift it up to make absolutely sure we have no fiberglass cracks in the hull I am going to strip her down  to the water line since there is no way I figure on this old of a gel coat matching colors is a reasonable or feasible feat.
I noticed on the starboard cockpit seats, the top layer at the cloth level is cracked all over. Will sand that down to get rid of the cracks and re-glass her. Except for the areas showing stress cracks form no backing plates she is actually looking pretty good.
Ordered some Capt. Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure. It is  supposed to do real well on cracks. Will let you al know how that works out. Now that the temps are dropping just a bit I figure I can get busy and deal with some of this stuff with out having to worry about the  resin setting so fast I don't have time to work.
Sail safe but sail!

2 comments:

The Great and Powerful Oz said...

You seem to be getting really good at this sort of work. Have you thought of taking one of Derek Kelsall's KSS classes and building from scratch?

UseDaGreyMatter said...

Never heard of him.