Search This Blog

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Colorant, Gel coat and what ever else I decide to put here.

Still researching colorant for polyester resins Came across this. 
They are sure proud of their colors at 7.70 an ounce but it beats having chips on the rudder.  The good news is this is not an ongoing expense. 

Life gets real interesting some days. While I was searching out colorants I hit on the Ace hardware site. According to the sale clerk I spoke with on the phone, if it is on their web site, you can order it and if you have it sent to  the store there is no shipping cost.  Interesting.....   
I found these on the Ace hardware site.  In the spirit this blog is built on about LOCALLY available materials. I'm throwing just a few marine worthy boat building materials that I have found on this site  for your viewing pleasure. Out of fairness to Bondo, after all they did send me the samples of the Home Solutions product line,  I called up Ace  and asked if it was possible to order the  Bondo Boat Yard resin. It's not. For any thing other then that Ace does carry a LOT of Bondo products I have not seen at other retailers. .




GelKote instructional  Pdf  
 Not planning on gel coating the rudder right away but I'm collecting data on the subject since  have places on the boat that are down right naked.  When I get to that point, on this one thing I think I will splurge. If finances allow I am thinking about giving her a complete new coat of gel coat. That remains to be seen but you never know.



Non skid paint instructional pdf 

ACE HARDWARE  non skid paint  gal  SKU 1002468  39.99 special order 


SKU: 1037126 gel colorant white  blends with poly resins, 1 oz  6.99

"EVERCOAT" PREMIUM MARINE RESIN at a price that is definitely comparable to Bondo boat yard resin. Plus if you have then send to to the store you don't pay extra shipping.

Well its time to make sawdust. My saw guy just brought in my boards for the rudder so off w go to sand land. 

2 comments:

The Great and Powerful Oz said...

For nonskid paint, you might want to look at buying a box of micro and mixing it in with regular outdoor paint. You can then use the leftover micro for its intended purpose, mixing into epoxy resin as a thickener.

UseDaGreyMatter said...

Now that IS a good idea!