Search This Blog

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Saw Dust Factory : Rudder page 3 The Fiberglass Jig


Some where I have several clamps that should work quite well. I have no idea what happened to them. Since the "back side" is going to be made of several pieces laminated together to the "front side" I am using wood strips as a clamp. 

As you can see  the saw guy scored the inner sides to hold the polyester.  The port side is horizontal. The starboard side is vertical. Which is which is not a big deal.
 The reason for this is to make sure I do not squeeze all of the bondo out and end up with a mess and have to start over.

The jig is going to be custom built around the boards for 2 reasons. 
1. We are using the same frame work for both parts of the rudder.  
2. I'm not that great at things like this so, to make sure I get it right the first time, I am doing it this way.



The rudder boards are in center. The 2 thin boards on either side are the long pieces of the jig.  They are the same thickness as the 2 sides combined so that when the top cross brace pieces are put on it will be a nice snug but not to tight fit.  In this case that is 1 1/2 "




Dry fit.






Screwing it together.  I used 2 screws in each joint so they would not slide and get off square.  If you look close you can see me using my foot to brace the wood together for the screws. You can see a shoe at the bottom for same purpose.  Ladies you  can use any thing for back pressure. Was thinking about using the coffee tale by my saw guy was handy and being the sweet guy he is, he helped.



Side one is done.




Shows the bottom of  jig by itself






So the polyester won't stick to the jig, I have lined it with some freezer paper I had in the kitchen.




Shows bottom of board in jug, ready to put polyester on.





 I don't know if you can see it or not, but this is a shot of the gap I got the first time I screwed in the last cross brace. I slipped and go to to tight so it did not let the wood lay down even. The good news is I caught it in time.


Part 4 coming

1 comment:

The Great and Powerful Oz said...

Very neat. I wish you were local so I could give you a hand.