Search This Blog

Sunday, February 6, 2011

General Update

Not a lot going on,. Weather has KO'ed fiber glassing rudder due to temps being in the tens to 30's.  In all the years I have lived here, we are for the first time, actually having a real winter. This is the first time it has not only snowed but the snow has stayed on the ground for more then a day. Snow on top of snow already on the ground is a new one for us here. It just does not happen that often here.
 
Picked up the polyester resin today. Looking for a tow vehicle. Need at least a REALLY CHEAP 6cyl with automatic.  Don't care what it looks like. Minor repairs OK.  I keep responding to ads on craigslist but so far it has not happened.

Trying to decide how I want to deal with all the rust on trailer and keel.. Thinking naval jelly  and steel brushes. They are fairly cheap and I can get both locally. Other idea is wait until I get the keel out, then rent a sand blaster and do both at the same time.  Have pretty much decided to go with Rustoleum Marine Grade paint for both since it s cheap and designed for marine use.
Well that's about it. More after the weather warms up.

1 comment:

The Great and Powerful Oz said...

I use an angle grinder from Harbor Frieght with a wire wheel to start with and then an abrasive flapper disk to get the harder spots. I'm also willing to weld in patches and reinforcements where the steel is rusted through. I just finished a repair job on a metal porch railing for a local church where I had to cut out a couple of 18" sections.

And I wish you northerners would keep your cold weather to yourselves.