Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Tool Box Modification

I have this 16 drawer Craftsman tool chest. Its big and I don't see me taking it on the boat when I get to the live aboard part. So I'm changing things over to smaller plastic boxes with tools sorted into groups.
The issue is the regular sized socket holders are to long for this box. Yeah I could get the larger tool boxes.  I really like this particular line so I'm modifying the snap on  holders to fit.




Can  you tell I like the pics with the sparks flying?

 Later I think I will fasten the bars to the base of the tray with some sort of adhesive. I'm thinking maybe just  a big glob of silicone going under the holes in the holder so it will squish through the hole. It will make a silicone rivet type mess once it is cured and the bars will stay in place.My other idea is get some really small skinny bolts to hold it.


I ground down the ends to remove sharpness but the photos were duds.  The red on the sockets are to mark them as mine. I got some preformix plastic dip at ace. It is the stuff you dip tool handles in . It was about 10.00 a can for 14.5 oz. Not to bad.

Not to shabby for ten minutes work by an old lady. LOL

1 comment:

The Great and Powerful Oz said...

Always make sure to wear eye protection!

Cutting stuff like that can be hard on one's clothes. I have a formerly white t-shirt that the entire front is now a huge rust stain from using an angle grinder to cut and shape square tubing.

You're not that old.