Search This Blog

Monday, February 28, 2011

Anchors: Remix

I've been doing  some  more research since I do not intend to be locked into lake only  or shore only anchoring. It seems reasonable to find an anchor I feel comfortable with and start saving up for it.  I think I hve found the anchor.  I watched the YOUTUBE presentations and I like  the Manson. Expensive ( so what else is new, its marine equipment, of course its is expensive.) The things that made the final cut are:  1. I really like the slot for your rode chain to slide up in to get it out backwards if need be and  2, I like the fact it has a Loyd's rating  of 

SHHP status, Super High Holding Power. I don't know if i is as they say the ONLY anchor to ever achieve that but it is my pick.  Have the 35 - 45 pound ones on my wish list at west marine.  Yes 35 - 45 pounds of anchor is WAY over kill for the V 22 and The Toy. I'm planning on eventually getting a 27 to 30 ft boat later and its going with me.  As is suggested in so many sites I'm getting something a size or two larger then the recommendations. Another reason I went with this one is if the price for stainless steel is to steep for your budget it is available in galvanized .  I figure I can buy a lot of re- galvanizing for the price difference. Its going to cost between 350.00 - 429.00 plus shipping but I think it will be worth the tightening of the belt to to get one.
 

Speaking of ground equipment. I opened the tie downs I bought  to hold down boat while its on frame to fix keel. Turns out each box has two tie downs, so now I don't feel so bad about it.  Now I can get two straps over it when we get to that point. 


Other then that this week so far has been about getting the van ready and the house ready to sell.


I am so looking forward the extra 300 to 400 a month I WONT be handing to the light company and other land based bills once I am out of here! Insurance and cell phone bills will come to 115.00 a month and I'd be paying that any way. All I'll have going out, other then that is groceries and gas, which is not much, The rest is SAILING KITTY!
MEOW!!!!!!!!!!!!


Every one sing !!!!!
(Tune of get me to the church of my fair lady)


I'm going sailing in the morning! 
Ding Dong the watch is gonna chime,
Hoist up the main sail, 
pull up the nchor,
just get me to the dock on time!

No comments: