Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Today is about chain plates with a dash of winches thrown in for flavoring.

A picture is worth a thousand words and there is a lot to say about the port side of the chain plate area.


  PORT

Both sides have a LOT of spidering around the chain plate area.

Outside  
  Out side you notice a different color on port just aft of the chain plate area.  Something happened. The fiberglass inside has no noticeable difference in the fiberglass but that could be because it all looks alike to me or that fiberglass is all the same color.
I took a second look, Yes, it has been fixed above the water line. The pics show a completely different color. I'm just hoping it is not bondo.






Directly under the chain plate there is the slightest bit of a waviness to the rub rail that does not happen on starboard.  Like it has been pulled in tighter and put extra pressure on things.




Crack goes under chain plate........


and onto side
 Interior appears to be good so I am thinking it is just  in gel coat.


A close up showing waviness in rub rail

Another view showing waviness in rub rail

Fasteners  look good.



Rub rail is loose in this entire area.

Old holes





Interior

There are nuts loose and missing. A lot of silicone as in the holes that extend to the top of the hull. All this is in the area immediately aft of the port chain plate extending to about four foot.  This is consistent with the discoloration on the out side .  The rest of the hull deck plate connection on both sides  looks great.











 Interior chain plate



As you can see there is not a lot of room for backing plates

Where plate is flush against hull.

I've got my little finger  poked in as tight as it can go .


Just barely room to stick a finger in



For comparison The Starboard shows no signs of anything except spidering.











 Winches

While I was snapping shots I got the winches. The question is what kind are they and where do I get a handle? 







Prior repair

When I originally looked at this boat the off colored areas being a prior repair occurred to me.  


It appears I was right. It is above the water line . They simply did not fill in the bolt holes.






                                                                         

This shot is about making sure I can get something fiberglass will not stick to between hull and deck plate.










No comments: